Investigation continues in death of Lone Star woman

   An autopsy has been ordered as family and friends of Lone Star resident Brenda Leftwich, 70, continue to mourn her loss a day after her body was discovered. Law enforcement authorities recovered Leftwich’s body Tuesday, Nov. 23 at 10:30 a.m. from the Lone Star Lake in the 200 block of North Shore Circle.

   Just prior to the discovery of her body, the Lone Star Police Department had enlisted the assistance of a helicopter provided by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS).

   Last seen on a security camera Nov. 18, Leftwich appeared to be walking alone headed southbound on Highway 259 in Lone Star where she lived nearby in an apartment complex. The following day, she was reported missing by family members, which included Leftwich’s son-in-law, Ken Taylor, a Lone Star Police Department officer. Taylor ultimately identified her body after it was discovered. 

   With the assistance of the Lone Star Fire Department and game wardens from the Texas Parks and Wildlife, the Lone Star Police Department recovered Leftwich’s body Nov. 23 after a tip from a fisherman who saw what appeared to be a body.  

    After the positive identification, Lone Star Police Chief Steven Blythe and Sergeant Steven Rathbun issued a press release statement.

   “We would like to thank all of the citizens near and far for their time and compassion and willingness to help one of our own,” the statement read. “No other details will be released at this time due to this being an ongoing investigation. Thank you again for all of the calls and tips. Our deepest heartfelt condolences go out to the family of Ms. Leftwich.”

   The multi-day search for Leftwich also yielded assistance from the Daingerfield-Lone Star ISD Police Department, Morris County Sheriff’s Office, Texas DPS Highway Patrol, Texas Ranger Greg Wilson, Harleton FD Search and Rescue K9 Team, Lone Star Volunteer Fire Department and the Longview Fire Department Dive Team which provided boats and side-scan sonar. During the search for Leftwich, a $500 reward was also offered by the Lone Star Police Department for information leading to her whereabouts.

    Following family notification, Leftwich’s body was released to the Nail-Haggard Funeral Home in Daingerfield and later transported to the Dallas County Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy to determine a possible cause of death.